Monday, October 26, 2009

Keeping My Purpose in View

The last few weeks I have been looking back at why I started a genealogy blog.  I was enamored with the new group of bloggers I had found.  I wanted to be a part of their community.  However, I began to look for ways to blog for the day and not accomplish why I started out, which was to inform and pull my family strings together.  I have a quote that expresses the deeper parts of my belief at the end of this blog.  My hope is to find through my blogging, others interested in the same places, times, or people that I am searching.  That has not happened yet.  Some of my blogs have been helpful to cousins and we have begun to share some of our memories to put together for our families.  I want to bring my family to an understanding of the history of their beginnings and what happened along the way.  I love finding out the why and whats of what happened to cause a move, to cause a rift, to set into motion a series of events. The desire is to present the information in a manner my grandchildren would want to read.


I will move back to my task at hand and hopefully keep on it.  If one of the community events fits with the family I will participate. I want it to be clear; I am thankful for the community as there are wonderful helps and hints of how to blog and where to go for information.  They are a wonderful warm-hearted group of people.  I am grateful for their comments and direction.  I must however focus on what my purpose of doing this is.  


I will become more focused as the year goes on by trying to cover one family at a time so as to keep continuity if I can. 

If you came by to read. 
Thank you 
Frances

Howard W. Hunter

"The Genealogical Society has always fostered the idea that wars would become unheard of, men would beat their swords into plowshares, and the earth could easily become a delightful garden for all men if we could only learn enough about each other and something about our origin to understand and appreciate one another" Howard W. Hunter

4 comments:

  1. I have gotten into contact with some other researchers (and one important close family member!) through my blog; I have found, however, that many people will come upon my blog in their search for common ancestors, and probably read it and use it for information, but very few actually get in touch with me, especially with the idea of sharing information (but for the few that do, I am really grateful).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too started my blog with a genealogy theme but quickly realized that I needed a second one to dedicate to that sole reason.
    I only post on it once in a while because although the visitors and followers are the greatest group I feel I post there for me and my family (who, by the way, rarely even read my blog)
    My first blog is now for fun and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share all your comments. I began this blog as a place to write down my family stories and share my decades of research with the hope that another far flung family member would wander onto my blog and we could network. That has not happened for me either. I actually get more collaboration with my ancestry site. But I love to write and am a patient person, and I know that one day someone will leave me a message and help me with my missing links. Hope springs eternal. Thanks for your blog hummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks back to all of you.
    Lori, does that mean I need a fourth blog?

    ReplyDelete